Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Rockin' Da Bass

So after having returned the upright bass when I left Seattle I began to miss it. After moving here to London I realized how much space (that I don't have alot of) one would take up, as well as how difficult it would be to take it somewhere via the tube. Conclusion: No upright bass any time soon.

One of my roommates, Mike, plays music quite often. He's got a couple guitars and a bongo. I sat in on a jam with the bongo a couple times and talked about how I had been plucking around on the upright a bit and would have liked to have picked up a bass. He eventually talked me in to heading down to Tottenham Court Road to take a look at electric and acoustic bass guitars (ok, so it didn't take that much prodding). There's a narrow road right off of Tottenham Court Road by the Tottenham Court Rd. tube stop called Denmark Street that is just stock full of music shops.

I played around on a few electric guitar and electric upright basses. I was actually pretty excited about an electric upright I saw in one of the shops and almost bought it then and there... But the shop worker couldn't find a non-floor model in their store rooms (even though inventory said they should have had a few).

So a couple weeks pass and I head back out to Tottenham Court Road. Still no upright. Played around with a few more electric bass guitars, and the more and more I did so the more and more I was enjoying a specific model. One that was clearly out of the price range I had set for myself.

Ah screw it, you only live once.

I am now the new owner of a silver Fender jazz electric bass guitar (ok not soooo new, I've had it for a few weeks now).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.