Sunday, March 16, 2008

Catching up on food

Edit: Added photos from Balthazar

Ok, so this is a catch up post for what I've been eating since Tuesday. Even lunch at work has proved to be relatively interesting and I've hit a different place every day so far. Tasty deli sandwiches, Indian buffets, and something great called a rolly. They take fresh dough, throw your choice of ingrediants on to it, roll the dough around it to make something that somewhat resembles a calzone, and then send it through the oven. I chose the philly steak version, which had steak, mushrooms, mozzarella and a tomato sauce. I added onions, lettuce and tabasco to give it a bit of a kick. It was DAMN good!

Wednesday night I hit up an Argentinean restaurant named Industria Argentina. One of the interior walls was covered with a huge collage/mural that almost looked paper mache'd on. It was snippets of things from Argentinean culture. One thing that caught my eye amongst the randomness was an advert for Nescafe. Reminded me of the time I spent in Chile where when you order coffee they bring you a cup of hot water and a small mound of Nescafe :). I had an '06 Catena Malbec there that was really good, and for the meal had something called Cochinilla Patagonico, a.k.a. suckling pig. It's a special that they only serve on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The meat was super tender and tasty. The saltiness of the pork was offset well by the mild sweetness of the sweet potato puree and the slight bitterness of the broccoli rabe further balanced the dish. For desert I had flan with butterscotch icecream and fresh whipped cream. It was awesome.

Most of you might not find my Thursday night dinner very interesting, but I had to do it. Hot wings. I haven't had hot wings since some time before I left Seattle (Wing Dome) and have been craving them for awhile. Hot wings aren't really something you find in London so this craving has gone unsatiated the entire time there. So I got some wings and beer with a side caeser at a place called Atomic Wings. They were decent, though not as good as Wing Dome, and I was a bit dissapointed by the spiciness. I got the wings with their Suicidal sauce, the hottest they have. I'd say it falls somewhere in between 4 Alarm and 5 Alarm at Wing Dome (they serve wings in bulk up to 6 alarm and you can buy 7 alarm wings one at a time). But hey, at least I got some wings.

Friday night was Belgian night at Petit Abeille, a little restaurant just a couple blocks from where I'm staying. I had the Moules Marinieres and of course some Belgian beers :). It was like being back in Belgium again!


Yesterday was another day of great food. Started out with brunch at Balthazar, a SOHO restaurant I stumbled across when doing a search for "the best breakfast in New York." Rachelle also mentioned that she though I should try it. Well, I've got to say that it was not only the best brunch I've had in New York, I think it was the best brunch I've ever had in my entire life. I wish I was able to actually get across with words how great the food actually was. I've actually got a couple photos in my phone of the food, I'll add them to the post later. I had a warm goat cheese and carmelized onion tart and the Balthazar salad. The tart was taller than I expected it to be, but that's not a bad thing. It was cooked to a perfect consistency and wasn't overly rich. I could probably have eaten two or three more of them! The salad had haricots verts (a thin long green bean), asparagus, fennel, ricotta, avocado and truffle vinaigrette over mixed greens. Really fresh and great flavor.

Dinner was family style Ethiopian at Queen of Sheba in mid-town with two New York Infusion guys and their girlfriends. Coincidentally the atmosphere reminded me very much of Queen Sheba in Seattle. We had Doro Wot, Quanta Firfir, Special Tibs, Awaze Tibs, Mizir Wot and of course lots of injeera to mop it all up with :). I'd rate it about the same quality as Queen Sheba in Seattle, though the spicy dishes were not as spicy (unfortunately).

Well, that brings me up to date. Perhaps I'll post again tonight and let you all know how the food is at the BBQ joint I plan on hitting tonight.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed my suggestion...nice. What´s better than an Argentine Steak???? Having an Argentine Steak in Argentina!! :) Got to love food, Yum!! It all sounds delicious!