Sunday, August 29, 2004

Coffee Messiah

that's where I am right now. Back in ye olde neighborhood in Capitol Hill. I spent this weekend apartment shopping, sort of... I walked around the neighborhood yesterday and wrote down contact info for some places that looked interesting. I had planned on calling on them all today, but that didn't happen. I did send out some emails to building managers for ones that had email addresses though. We'll see. I have a couple weeks yet to find a place. However, the time is ticking away quite rapidly.

I went to a restaurant last night with a couple of friends. The name of the place is Marakesh and it is in Belltown, on 2nd street for anyone that knows anything about Seattle geography. It was awesome. We all sat on really low benches or cushions around a table that was about 1 foot off of the ground. There were no utensils, so we used our hands to eat everything. There were 5 courses to the meal. We started out with a tomato based soup with squash, next was bread with a couple different sauces. The third food item brought out was a pastry that tasted somewhat like baklava, but had chicken in it and was topped with powdered sugar. Very tasty! Next was the main course. Well actually 6 main courses that we all shared family style. There were lamb kabobs, some kind of plum chicken, game hen, a cous cous dish, and I can't remember what else. All of the dishes were good. Finally there was dessert, which was tea and a sweet meringue like dish. The server brought hot water and a wash basin to the table and poured the water over our hands both before the first course and then before dessert. He also poured rose water over our hands before dessert. We had 3 bottles of wine and a belly dancer to entertain us while we enjoyed our meal. All in all it was an excellent experience, one I definitely plan on doing again. Next time, we are going to get the whole lamb (which we would have done this time if you didn't need 3 days notice).

After the meal, we hit a couple of capitol hill bars and had a few brews. We wanted to make sure our stomachs were completely full! My friend Theresa was kind enough to allow me to crash at her place and avoid the drive home. The next morning Chris, Theresa and I hit the Broadway Grill for a greasy breakfast and a bloody mary. Man I love Seattle! Well, I'm going to get going so I can finish my coffee and vegan sandwich (which is surprisingly good!). Have a good night all.

No comments: