Friday, August 28, 2009

Night on the town in Dubai

All the Infusion folks based in Dubai were getting together on Thursday night for drinks at a place called Barasti Bar. I'll add photos of the night when I have time. I had deep fried pork ribs to put something in my belly before getting through too many beers. Boy was that strange...

Don't know precisely how many beers I drank, but I can say it was a lot. Whenever I get to the state that I'm buying rounds of shots for everyone I know that it has been a good night. Unfortunately I missed last call when I went to get a round, so we actually missed out on the shots. Probably a good thing. Though they wouldn't give me shots, they were still willing to give me beer, so I bought one of their cylinder beer dispensers. I love these devices! If you've never had them before I'll give a quick description. It's a double cylinder, one inside the other. They fill the inside cylinder with ice and the outer cylinder with beer. So your beer stays cold for quite some time, even in the muggy Dubai heat. There's a nozzle at the bottom of the cylinder that you use to dispense your icy cold beer. I suppose it's a bit like a micro-keg or something. The first time I had them was when I was in Bangkok, Thailand a few years ago (pictured at right, 3 litres of icy cold goodness). There was this outside bar next to the mall that was serving Singha in these style dispensers. Then Wing Dome in Seattle started carrying them. This is the third place I've been to that has these dispensers. They're grrrrrrreat! The rest of the fellas had shisha, but I've already had shisha a few times over the last week so I held back on that.

I'm sure I'll definitely be returning to this bar when the weather starts to cool down. It's right on the water and is very open planned (e.g. there is not really a wall between the inside and outside) and comfortable. There are even chairs/couches and tables down in the sand by the water. The bar has multiple levels and each level has it's own bar, so you don't have far to walk to get another drink. Heck, they've got servers so technically you don't have to walk anywhere.

No comments: